UPDATES REGARDING COVID-19
At Good Earth, ensuring the safety of both our staff and customers is a top priority, and we are taking a number of steps to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our stores. Read on to learn more about how we are adapting our business to best serve the community.
New Store Hours Beginning Monday, June 1st
Daily 9:00 AM – 8:00 PM
Reserved Shopping Hour
Daily 8:00 AM – 9:00 AM
Reserved hour is for those who are 60+, pregnant, or immunocompromised.
Online grocery ordering is live. Curbside pick up is available in both stores, and delivery is available in Fairfax, San Anselmo, Mill Valley, Sausalito, and more.
We require face coverings for the nose and mouth for all staff, customers, and guests in our stores. These face coverings do not have to be hospital grade, but need to cover the nose and mouth. Home-sewn fabric coverings, bandanas, a “DIY” mask from an old t-shirt and neck gaiters are examples of acceptable face coverings.
Please Note: Masks that incorporate a one-way valve designed to facilitate easy exhaling (typically a raised plastic cylinder about the size of a quarter on the front or right side of the mask), permit droplet release from the mask, putting others nearby at risk. This style of mask is not in compliance with the Marin County Public Health Order, and we ask that you refrain from wearing them in our stores if possible, or cover the mask with a bandana or scarf.
To protect our staff and customers, we cannot let anybody inside the store without a mask. If you have a medical condition the prevents you from being able to wear a mask, we can offer you a face shield, or we ask that you use our online shopping program. We will work with you to get a same-day slot, and can waive the $5 fulfillment fee for you.
To protect the health and safety of our staff and customers, we are unable to except product returns currently. We are still accepting returns of Straus bottles and Good Earth deposit items, such as mason jars, as these undergo a rigorous sanitation process. Please bring your Good Earth deposit items to the entrance of the store. We will re-evaluate this policy when the COVID-19 situation stabilizes.
Self-Serve Kitchen and Bulk Offering
Our Hot Bar, Salad Bar, and Soup Bar are currently closed. Our Chef’s Case, Sandwich Station, Taqueria, and Wok Bar are open. We’ve increased our grab and go offerings, and we’ve adapted other high-touch, self-serve areas of our food service departments like our Pastry Case, Pizza Station, and Cafe Coffee and Tea stations, so that product handling is limited to staff members only. We’ve also changed the way that we package our made-in-house bread so that no portion of the bread is exposed.
Our Bulk Foods and Bulk Herbs Department are closed for self-service currently. We have added ordering counters in these departments, and have staff stationed in bulk everyday to take and fill customer orders.
Additional Precautionary Measures:
- We are currently limiting the number of customers in our stores to 40 at a time. We have door monitors scheduled everyday to help manage capacity
- We’ve placed sanitizer stations outside the entrance of both stores
- In areas where lines may form (entrance, registers, etc), we have floor markings spaced 6 ft apart to help ensure proper social distancing
- Our team sanitizes shopping carts and baskets after every use
- We sanitize styluses at our payment portals after every use. We also accept Apple Pay
- We’ve installed acrylic barriers at our checkstands, express registers, and cafe registers
- All active and passive food sampling is currently suspended
- We’ve increased cleaning efforts throughout our stores, with a focus on high-touch areas
- We are currently prohibited from accepting reusable items like bags, coffee cups, and containers from home in our stores. We have temporarily suspended bag charges
- We’ve instituted daily temperature checks and symptom screenings for every staff member at the start of every shift
- We’re providing regular training and updates to staff around COVID-19 prevention and transmission, including the importance of social distancing and proper hand-washing
- Since March, we have limited staff travel between our stores. Staff members that usually work out of both stores are currently only working out of their home store.
- To help ensure social distancing, we’ve created alternative break areas
Staff COVID-19 Testing
In mid-May, Marin Public Health made free COVID-19 testing widely available for essential workers in Marin. We have been actively encouraging our staff to get tested regularly since this testing became available. Additionally, we worked with Marin Public Health to offer free on-site testing to staff at our Fairfax location on Thursday June 18th. We will continue to look for opportunities to partner with Marin Public Health for on-site testing at our stores.
There is evidence that COVID-19 is becoming more widespread throughout Marin, and a number of businesses have reported positive cases among staff to Marin Public Health. With 500 staff members, it is not unexpected that we will find positive cases among our staff. While we are not required to disclose to customers if a staff member tests positive for COVID-19, we have elected to make this information available because we believe that transparency is important. From what we can gather, disclosing positive cases to customers is not the standard in our industry.
For updates on staff testing, positive cases, and to learn more about our process if a staff member tests positive for COVID-19, please click the button below.